Keeping your home safe for you and your loved ones is a central concern for everyone…of course everyone dreads having their possessions stolen, but the main worry is the harm that might come to the people in your home if an intruder gets in.
With that, we have assembled a list of steps you can take right now to help ensure that you are as protected as possible. Tips are provided by the National Crime Prevention Council.
- Consider installing a home alarm system. Many have initial costs as low as $100 plus a monthly monitoring fee.
- Once you have an alarm system, display the stickers on your windows or with signs in the yard. Also, make sure you know how to operate it properly so as not to set off fake alerts.
- Many law enforcement agencies offer a free home security survey that you can take advantage of.
- Make sure all exterior doors are made of solid wood or steel with interior hinges and hidden pins.
- Make sure all entries are lighted and drill a wide-angle viewer into the door to screen visitors.
- Install quality locks and deadbolts for windows and doors and use them…even for brief trips.
- Install keyed window locks to replace the standard thumb locks that come standard on most double-hung windows.
As a bonus, installing security systems with monthly monitoring often reduces your homeowner insurance premiums. All of us here at CoverLink wish you continued health and safety.